Monday, January 24, 2011

Arrival in Brisbane

January 5-6th

Finally arrived in Brisbane. I had heard news of it flooding in Queensland, but when Michael and I arrived it was nice, sunny and hot! I didn’t expect for the YHA hostel to be all the way at the top of a hill but the hike was well worth it because finally I could put my bags down. We had to wait for our room to be ready and ran into our friend, Marc, and some other seniors on the trip. Soon after while eating brunch, we met some of the other upperclassmen on the trip: Leigh, Jimmy, Shawn, Wei and Eric. They were really nice and they let us store our belongings in their room until our room opened up so we could go explore the city. I had never stayed in a hostel before and didn’t know that there are certain requirements one needs to bring with them when staying there, like a towel and lock. So off Michael and I headed into the heart of the city. We found an outdoor mall area where most stores were either at ground level or underneath us. Everywhere we looked there were sale signs but when you factored the discounted price, I realized it would be the normal price of something I would buy at home. I then knew Australia was not going to be a cheap trip.

Best Chai Latte ever.



Brisbane at sunset.



Double Rainbow!



On Thursday, we met up with our new friends and went on an adventure to find food and explore. We ended up at a sushi restaurant where half of us got sushi and the other had teriyaki fried rice. Our bills for that meal were pretty ridiculous as the sushi group ate almost $60 worth of fish and the rice bowl group had a collective total of $30. It was truly a hilarious event which was made only better by the mouth watering Swiss ice cream we got afterwards. Tiramisu flavored ice cream will be the death of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment